Coordinated violence took place across Baghdad today, as bomb after bomb exploded in neighborhoods across the city. The bloodshed extended deep into Shi’ite southern Iraq, which has been relatively quiet compared to restive northern Iraq. Overall, at least 86 Iraqis were killed and 234 were wounded.
In Baghdad, nine people were killed and 24 more were wounded in a double bombing in Shabb. A double bomb killed 12 people and wounded another 38 at a market in Shula. Three people were killed and 13 more were wounded during a car bombing in Hurriya. In Aden, two bombs killed four people and wounded 15 more. Two people were killed and 10 more were wounded in a blast in Abu Dsheer. A car bomb in Kamaliya left five dead and 16 wounded. In Doura, a car bomb killed four and wounded 15 more. Two people were killed and 12 more were wounded in Amiriya. Gunmen killed three people at a Zaafaraniya pet food shop. Also in Zaafaraniya, a sticky bomb killed a university professor. A barber and a physician were also separately killed.
In Mosul, four soldiers were killed and four more were wounded in a clash. An I.E.D. wounded two people. Two civilians were killed and a policeman was wounded in a bombing.
Four people were killed at a Saidiya cafe during a machine-gun attack.
A rare bombing in Samawa left three dead and 20 wounded.
Four people were killed and 17 more were wounded at a funeral in Hibhib.
A bomb near Kirkuk left one civilian dead and another wounded.
Security forces killed a suicide bomber in Tal Afar.
Two gunmen were killed during an operation in Mutaibijh.
A bomb wounded three people in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Forces Kill 40 Militants in and Near Syria; 20 Found in Mass Grave in Mosul – April 22nd, 2018
- 60 Militants Found in Mosul Grave; 20 Killed in Iraq – April 21st, 2018
- New Zealand Sends Fresh Troops; Five Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2018
- Baghdad Drops Bombs on ISIS in Syria; Five Killed in Iraq – April 19th, 2018
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018