Although no soccer players or fans were reported among today’s casualties, one of the bombings targeted a cafe. In recent days, several cafes screening international soccer matches were the focus of bloodshed. Overall, at least 55 people were killed and 53 more were wounded today.
The bodies of eight Sahwa members were found in an orchard after the men were snatched from various homes around Meshahda.
A roadside bomb in Hamdaniya killed a soldier and wounded two more.
Gunmen killed a policeman in Falluja.
Two leading al-Qaeda members were killed during a raid in Adhaim.
In Baiji, a policeman was gunned down.
A military operation in Duquq left an Ansar al-Sunna leader and a soldier dead.
A civilian was gunned down in Mosul.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019