Tightened security in Nineva and Anbar provinces was successful in preventing any major attacks against voters today. However, some violence did occur. At least 12 Iraqis were killed in it, and another 16 were wounded. Only two provinces participated in polling. Elections in 12 other provinces took place in April.
A suicide bomber in Ramadi killed as many as seven people and wounded another five when he attacked a polling center after it had closed. While polls were still open, mortar fire killed one person and wounded another.
A roadside bomb in Baiji killed an election official.
Two civilians were shot to death in Shirqat.
A car bomb wounded three people in Hilla.
In Hawija, two insurgents were wounded as they tried to plant a bomb.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019
- Two militiamen Among 11 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2019