Retaliation Against Sunnis Leave 90 Dead, 201 Wounded Across Iraq
Updated at 4:30 p.m. EST, March 17, 2013
As violence surged in Iraq this week, the United Nations called on the government and politicians to protect civilians. Today alone, bombers targeted a Sunni mosque and funeral in apparent retaliation for earlier attacks against Shi’ites. Overall, at least 90 Iraqis were killed and 201 more were wounded in the assaults.
A double bombing at a Sunni mosque in Baquba left 43 dead. The first bomb blew up as worshippers exited the Saria mosque. The second of the two bombs exploded after first responders arrived to help the victims of the first blast. Over 80 people were wounded.
In Baghdad, a bomb at an Amiriya district shopping center left 21 dead and 32 wounded. Four were killed and 22 were wounded in a later explosion in Doura. A bomb killed one person and wounded five more in Ghazaliya. Seven people were killed and 28 more were wounded in a bomb in Baladiyat.
Two people were killed and nine more were wounded when a bomb exploded at a Falluja café.
In Mosul, a woman’s body was discovered bearing gunshot wounds.
Gunmen in Qayara killed a nominee for the Nineva provincial council.
A Kirkuk inspection department employee and his cousin were gunned down.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 553 Killed and Executed in Iraq as Militants Attack Kirkuk – October 21st, 2016
- US Soldier Among 126 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2016
- 232 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Fighting Heats Up – October 19th, 2016
- 180 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Operations Continue – October 18th, 2016
- 60 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Battles Commence – October 17th, 2016