Shi’ites Attacked in Southern Iraq: 49 Killed, 100 Wounded
Attacks struck Shi’ite cities and neighborhoods south of Baghdad today. At least 49 people were killed 100 more were wounded in them.
A pair of car bombs left 18 dead and 42 wounded when they exploded among construction workers and in a market in Amara.
Nine people were killed and 23 more were wounded when a car bomb exploded near a restaurant in Diwaniya.
A car bomb in the holy city of Karbala left three dead and 14 wounded.
In Mahmoudiya, which is predominantly Sunni, a bomb killed six people and wounded 14 more in a Shi’ite district.
In Mosul, two soldiers were killed and three more were wounded in a clash. Gunmen killed a soldier. A civilian was killed and his brother was wounded in a shooting.
Gunmen killed two soldiers and wounded two more in Yathrib.
A sniper in Madaen killed a soldier and wounded another.
An officer and two soldiers were shot dead in Riyadh.
Two suicide bombers were killed when their vehicle exploded near a checkpoint in Samarra.
A lawyer was assassinated in Baquba.
Mortars in Anbar province left no casualties.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 178 Killed, 95 Wounded in Numerous Attacks, Clashes Across Iraq – September 17th, 2014
- Shi’ite Militias Reject PM Ministry Picks; 67 Killed Across Iraq – September 16th, 2014
- As Diplomats Discuss Iraq, 86 Are Killed across Country – September 15th, 2014
- Falluja Hospital Bombed Again As 42 Killed Across Iraq – September 14th, 2014
- Iraq PM Promises No More Airstrikes on Civilians; 63 Killed, 22 Wounded – September 13th, 2014