Thirteen Killed in More Iraq Bloodshed
Saturday: 13 Killed, 11 Wounded
Although attacks tapered off today, as is the case in recent days, the figures are likely much higher. Overall, at least 13 Iraqis were killed and 11 more were wounded. Another 10 casualties were reported, but the make-up of the figures was not released.
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki blamed the growing unrest on regional issues, completely ignoring any role his Shi’ite-led government may have had in the matter.
Five army intelligence officers were killed and two gunmen were wounded in a firefight in Ramadi. The clash began when gunmen noticed the officers were filming the camp and tried to stop their vehicle. Two policemen were also wounded.
Four soldiers were killed in an Abu Ghraib firefight.
In Falluja, fighting resumed Saturday night, but casualty figures were not released. Separately, gunmen fired upon a group of football players, killing one and wounding another. Mortars wounded four people.
Gunmen killed three people in separate incidents in Basra.
Two bodyguards were wounded during a failed attempt to assassinate a police official near Ramadi.
Near Baquba, ten militants were killed or wounded in raids.
Clashes took place in Baiji.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Targeting Baghdad; 41 Killed in Iraq – December 9th, 2016
- Soldiers Retreat after Bloody Battles in Mosul; 229 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2016
- Bombers Successful in Mosul, Baghdad; 129 Killed in Iraq – December 7th, 2016
- Bus Bomb Explodes at Mosul Market; 35 Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2016
- Displaced Executed near Kirkuk; 110 Killed in Iraq – December 5th, 2016