Iraq Election Rally Targeted in Attacks; 30 Killed Across Country
Saturday: 30 Killed, 65 Wounded
As provincial elections draw nearer, attacks on political candidates grow deadlier. At a rally in Baquba, dozens of people were killed or wounded today. Overall, at least 30 people were killed and 65 more were wounded.
A suicide bomber killed at least 22 people at a political rally for a Sunni candidate in Baquba. Muthana al-Jourani was holding a luncheon attended by hundreds of supporters at the time of the attack. About 55 people were wounded, including al-Jourani and three other political candidates. In separate attacks, gunmen killed a policeman and government official.
In Samarra, a bomb killed three policemen and wounded three civilians, including a teenage boy.
An I.E.D. wounded a policeman in Falluja.
A bomb in Garma wounded a policeman.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Militias Pushed Out of Tikrit Battle; 209 Killed in Iraq – March 26th, 2015
- 109 Killed across Iraq as U.S. Begins Airstrikes in Tikrit – March 25th, 2015
- U.S. Begins Flights over Tikrit, as 105 Are Killed in Iraq – March 24th, 2015
- Bombs Shake Baghdad; 189 Killed in Iraq – March 23rd, 2015
- Fighting Still Stalled in Tikrit, but 114 Killed across Iraq – March 22nd, 2015