Iraq Election Rally Targeted in Attacks; 30 Killed Across Country
Saturday: 30 Killed, 65 Wounded
As provincial elections draw nearer, attacks on political candidates grow deadlier. At a rally in Baquba, dozens of people were killed or wounded today. Overall, at least 30 people were killed and 65 more were wounded.
A suicide bomber killed at least 22 people at a political rally for a Sunni candidate in Baquba. Muthana al-Jourani was holding a luncheon attended by hundreds of supporters at the time of the attack. About 55 people were wounded, including al-Jourani and three other political candidates. In separate attacks, gunmen killed a policeman and government official.
In Samarra, a bomb killed three policemen and wounded three civilians, including a teenage boy.
An I.E.D. wounded a policeman in Falluja.
A bomb in Garma wounded a policeman.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Blast at Abu Ghraib Mosque; 166 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2016
- Iran Artillery Fire Wounds Civilians; 93 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2016
- Militia Accused of Destroying Homes; 112 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2016
- Kurdish Media Office Attacked; 87 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2016
- Fallujah Displaced Desperate; 69 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2016