Iraq Election Rally Targeted in Attacks; 30 Killed Across Country
Saturday: 30 Killed, 65 Wounded
As provincial elections draw nearer, attacks on political candidates grow deadlier. At a rally in Baquba, dozens of people were killed or wounded today. Overall, at least 30 people were killed and 65 more were wounded.
A suicide bomber killed at least 22 people at a political rally for a Sunni candidate in Baquba. Muthana al-Jourani was holding a luncheon attended by hundreds of supporters at the time of the attack. About 55 people were wounded, including al-Jourani and three other political candidates. In separate attacks, gunmen killed a policeman and government official.
In Samarra, a bomb killed three policemen and wounded three civilians, including a teenage boy.
An I.E.D. wounded a policeman in Falluja.
A bomb in Garma wounded a policeman.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Execution near Kirkuk; 58 Killed in Iraq – April 24th, 2017
- Civilians Killed in Mosul Clashes; 180 Killed in Iraq – April 23rd, 2017
- Turkish Airstrikes Leave Casualties; 77 Killed Across Iraq – April 22nd, 2017
- Qatari Hostages Freed; 16 Killed in Iraq – April 21st, 2017
- ISIS Leader’s Relative Reported Killed in Mosul; 63 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2017