Tikrit Tanker Bomb Leaves Dozens Killed; Iraq Executes Four on Terrorism Charges
Monday: 46 Killed, 4 Executed, 79 Wounded
On what otherwise would have been a relatively peaceful day, a suicide bomber using a tanker bomb was able to cause a significant amount of casualties at a police base in northern Iraq. Overall, at least 46 Iraqis were killed and 79 more were wounded there and in other violence. Also, while ignoring international scorn, Iraq executed another four people, including a man described as an al-Qaeda leader.
Gunmen assassinated the unit commander at Badush prison in Mosul.
Knife-wielding insurgents attacked several newspaper offices across Baghdad, where they wounded at least four workers.
In Tuz Khormato, gunmen wounded the mayor and two bodyguards.
A bomb at the Ramadi home of the head of the Anbar Salvation Council wounded two bodyguards.
A roadside bomb on a rural highway in Anbar province exploded and wounded a police officer.
A policeman was kidnapped in Shirqat.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mosul Airport, Army Base Captured; 83 Killed in Iraq – February 23rd, 2017
- U.S. Forces Shot at in Mosul; 130 Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2017
- Civilians Flee Renewed Fighting in Mosul; 155 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2017
- Non-combat Death of U.S. Servicemember; 144 Others Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2017
- Early Advances in Mosul Operation; 151 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2017