Tikrit Tanker Bomb Leaves Dozens Killed; Iraq Executes Four on Terrorism Charges
Monday: 46 Killed, 4 Executed, 79 Wounded
On what otherwise would have been a relatively peaceful day, a suicide bomber using a tanker bomb was able to cause a significant amount of casualties at a police base in northern Iraq. Overall, at least 46 Iraqis were killed and 79 more were wounded there and in other violence. Also, while ignoring international scorn, Iraq executed another four people, including a man described as an al-Qaeda leader.
Gunmen assassinated the unit commander at Badush prison in Mosul.
Knife-wielding insurgents attacked several newspaper offices across Baghdad, where they wounded at least four workers.
In Tuz Khormato, gunmen wounded the mayor and two bodyguards.
A bomb at the Ramadi home of the head of the Anbar Salvation Council wounded two bodyguards.
A roadside bomb on a rural highway in Anbar province exploded and wounded a police officer.
A policeman was kidnapped in Shirqat.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Takes the Brunt of Attacks That Leave 61 Dead, 214 Wounded – December 8th, 2013
- Shooting Spree Targets Baghdad Liquor Stores; 21 Killed, 36 Wounded Across Iraq – December 7th, 2013
- Journalist Assassinated in Kurdistan; 15 Killed, 33 Wounded Across Iraq – December 6th, 2013
- Shootings and Bombings Leave 14 Dead, 7 Wounded – December 5th, 2013
- Another Security Installation Targeted in Iraq; 31 Killed, 106 Wounded – December 4th, 2013