On what otherwise would have been a relatively peaceful day, a suicide bomber using a tanker bomb was able to cause a significant amount of casualties at a police base in northern Iraq. Overall, at least 46 Iraqis were killed and 79 more were wounded there and in other violence. Also, while ignoring international scorn, Iraq executed another four people, including a man described as an al-Qaeda leader.
Gunmen assassinated the unit commander at Badush prison in Mosul.
Knife-wielding insurgents attacked several newspaper offices across Baghdad, where they wounded at least four workers.
In Tuz Khormato, gunmen wounded the mayor and two bodyguards.
A bomb at the Ramadi home of the head of the Anbar Salvation Council wounded two bodyguards.
A roadside bomb on a rural highway in Anbar province exploded and wounded a police officer.
A policeman was kidnapped in Shirqat.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Deploys More Troops to Kirkuk; 13 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2018
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018