Tikrit Tanker Bomb Leaves Dozens Killed; Iraq Executes Four on Terrorism Charges
Monday: 46 Killed, 4 Executed, 79 Wounded
On what otherwise would have been a relatively peaceful day, a suicide bomber using a tanker bomb was able to cause a significant amount of casualties at a police base in northern Iraq. Overall, at least 46 Iraqis were killed and 79 more were wounded there and in other violence. Also, while ignoring international scorn, Iraq executed another four people, including a man described as an al-Qaeda leader.
Gunmen assassinated the unit commander at Badush prison in Mosul.
Knife-wielding insurgents attacked several newspaper offices across Baghdad, where they wounded at least four workers.
In Tuz Khormato, gunmen wounded the mayor and two bodyguards.
A bomb at the Ramadi home of the head of the Anbar Salvation Council wounded two bodyguards.
A roadside bomb on a rural highway in Anbar province exploded and wounded a police officer.
A policeman was kidnapped in Shirqat.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Blast at Abu Ghraib Mosque; 166 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2016
- Iran Artillery Fire Wounds Civilians; 93 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2016
- Militia Accused of Destroying Homes; 112 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2016
- Kurdish Media Office Attacked; 87 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2016
- Fallujah Displaced Desperate; 69 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2016