Baghdad Bloodbath: 34 Killed, 70 Wounded in Attacks
At least 34 people were killed and 70 more were wounded in a string of attacks. The most significant violence took place in the capital and in towns south of Baghdad.
In Baghdad, 19 people were killed and about 40 more were wounded in a double bombing near a stadium in the Shoala district. In a common tactic, the first bomb drew responders to a second bomb waiting for them. One person was killed and seven more were wounded during a separate bombing in Shurta al-Rabea.
Four people were killed and at least seven more were wounded in Mahmoudiya, during a multiple bombing that included a hand grenade blast. A militant detonated the grenade as security forces were trying to arrest him. At least six bombs exploded nearby.
Gunmen killed two Sahwa members, one of them a commander, in Sabbaghiya.
In Hawija, a sniper killed a soldier.
An I.E.D. killed two policemen and wounded a third one in Mosul.
Gunmen in Falluja killed a policeman.
Police killed a suicide car bomber in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bomber Strike East of Baghdad; 138 Killed in Iraq – July 25th, 2016
- 164 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike near Shi’ite Shrine – July 24th, 2016
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016
- More Exposure Deaths near Shirqat; 37 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2016