Baghdad Bloodbath: 34 Killed, 70 Wounded in Attacks
At least 34 people were killed and 70 more were wounded in a string of attacks. The most significant violence took place in the capital and in towns south of Baghdad.
In Baghdad, 19 people were killed and about 40 more were wounded in a double bombing near a stadium in the Shoala district. In a common tactic, the first bomb drew responders to a second bomb waiting for them. One person was killed and seven more were wounded during a separate bombing in Shurta al-Rabea.
Four people were killed and at least seven more were wounded in Mahmoudiya, during a multiple bombing that included a hand grenade blast. A militant detonated the grenade as security forces were trying to arrest him. At least six bombs exploded nearby.
Gunmen killed two Sahwa members, one of them a commander, in Sabbaghiya.
In Hawija, a sniper killed a soldier.
An I.E.D. killed two policemen and wounded a third one in Mosul.
Gunmen in Falluja killed a policeman.
Police killed a suicide car bomber in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mortars Target Civilians in Mosul; 109 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2017
- New Reports of Chemical Weapons in Mosul; 47 Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2017
- 117 Killed in Iraq; ISIS Captures 9 Officers in Mosul – March 20th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Airstrikes in Mosul; 80 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2017
- Another Chemical Attack in Mosul; 28 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2017