Iraq Horror: 52 Killed, 141 Wounded
Sunday: 52 Killed, 141 Wounded
At least 37 people were killed and 130 more were wounded in a series of blasts around Baghdad. The attacks focused on Shi’ite neighborhoods and took place in busy marketplaces or garages. At least two more car bombs were discovered and rendered harmless before they could be detonated. The attacks began in Sadr City and were followed in close succession by blasts in the Amin, Habibiya, Husseiniya, Kamaliya, Karrada, and Saidiya neighborhoods.
Elsewhere in Iraq, at least 15 people were killed, mostly security forces or their targets. Another 11 were wounded.
An I.E.D. killed three soldiers when it exploded in Badush.
In Mosul, an intelligence officer was shot dead, as were his three attackers as they tried to flee. Three bodies, including those of two women, were discovered with their heads bashed in, near a construction site.
Gunmen fired upon a Falluja checkpoint, killing one civilian and wounded five others, including soldiers.
A blast at a mosque in Muqdadiya killed one policeman and wounded three worshippers. Police then shot and killed the man responsible for detonating the bomb.
A policeman died while trying to defuse a bomb in Ramadi.
Bombs rendered an oil pipeline inoperative near the Baiji refinery.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Thousands Homeless in Anbar; 72 Killed in Iraq – February 11th, 2016
- 96 Killed Across Iraq as Fighting Shifts West of Ramadi – February 10th, 2016
- Security Forces Finish Securing Ramadi; 285 Killed in Iraq – February 9th, 2016
- Troops Recapture Anbar Town; 120 Killed Across Iraq – February 8th, 2016
- ISIS Executes Hundreds in Iraq – February 7th, 2016