Iraq Horror: 52 Killed, 141 Wounded
Sunday: 52 Killed, 141 Wounded
At least 37 people were killed and 130 more were wounded in a series of blasts around Baghdad. The attacks focused on Shi’ite neighborhoods and took place in busy marketplaces or garages. At least two more car bombs were discovered and rendered harmless before they could be detonated. The attacks began in Sadr City and were followed in close succession by blasts in the Amin, Habibiya, Husseiniya, Kamaliya, Karrada, and Saidiya neighborhoods.
Elsewhere in Iraq, at least 15 people were killed, mostly security forces or their targets. Another 11 were wounded.
An I.E.D. killed three soldiers when it exploded in Badush.
In Mosul, an intelligence officer was shot dead, as were his three attackers as they tried to flee. Three bodies, including those of two women, were discovered with their heads bashed in, near a construction site.
Gunmen fired upon a Falluja checkpoint, killing one civilian and wounded five others, including soldiers.
A blast at a mosque in Muqdadiya killed one policeman and wounded three worshippers. Police then shot and killed the man responsible for detonating the bomb.
A policeman died while trying to defuse a bomb in Ramadi.
Bombs rendered an oil pipeline inoperative near the Baiji refinery.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Battles Rage Not Far from Baghdad; 282 Killed, 116 Wounded Across Iraq – October 22nd, 2014
- 58 Killed, 45 Wounded Across Iraq; Militiamen Boldly Operate Under Own Terms – October 21st, 2014
- Bombs and Battles Kill 243, Wound 139 Across Iraq – October 20th, 2014
- 146 Are Killed in Battles and Bombings Across Iraq – October 19th, 2014
- New Iraq Ministers Selected, As 294 Are Killed – October 18th, 2014