Kirkuk Carnage: 42 Killed, 115 Wounded across Iraq
At least 36 people were killed and as many as 105 more were wounded in a complex attack on an army base in central Kirkuk. The attack began when a suicide bomber drove to the entrance and detonated a massive bomb as guards were inspecting the car. The vehicle reportedly was painted to resemble a police car. A second suicide driver and vehicle may have been involved. Three gunmen dressed in police uniforms and wearing suicide vests then attempted to storm the base. All three were killed before detonating any more explosives other than grenades.
A local police chief was among the injured. The bomb also damaged many buildings adjacent to the base, including a government office building. Forty cars are said to have been damaged as well. A number of militant groups operate in Kirkuk, which is at the center of a territorial dispute between the Iraqi and Kurdish government. The mixed city sits on top of a huge oil field that both governments covet.
Meanwhile, another six people were killed and six more were wounded in other attacks.
Gunmen killed a civilian in Tarmiya.
Four civilians were wounded in a blast in Madaen.
An I.E.D. targeting two judges in Raweh exploded without leaving casualties.
Mortars landed on an army H.Q. near Falluja, but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Marine, 286 Others Killed Across Iraq – October 24th, 2014
- Another Town Falls to ISIS; 114 Killed Across Iraq – October 23rd, 2014
- Battles Rage Not Far from Baghdad; 282 Killed, 116 Wounded Across Iraq – October 22nd, 2014
- 58 Killed, 45 Wounded Across Iraq; Militiamen Boldly Operate Under Own Terms – October 21st, 2014
- Bombs and Battles Kill 243, Wound 139 Across Iraq – October 20th, 2014