Kirkuk Carnage: 42 Killed, 115 Wounded across Iraq
At least 36 people were killed and as many as 105 more were wounded in a complex attack on an army base in central Kirkuk. The attack began when a suicide bomber drove to the entrance and detonated a massive bomb as guards were inspecting the car. The vehicle reportedly was painted to resemble a police car. A second suicide driver and vehicle may have been involved. Three gunmen dressed in police uniforms and wearing suicide vests then attempted to storm the base. All three were killed before detonating any more explosives other than grenades.
A local police chief was among the injured. The bomb also damaged many buildings adjacent to the base, including a government office building. Forty cars are said to have been damaged as well. A number of militant groups operate in Kirkuk, which is at the center of a territorial dispute between the Iraqi and Kurdish government. The mixed city sits on top of a huge oil field that both governments covet.
Meanwhile, another six people were killed and six more were wounded in other attacks.
Gunmen killed a civilian in Tarmiya.
Four civilians were wounded in a blast in Madaen.
An I.E.D. targeting two judges in Raweh exploded without leaving casualties.
Mortars landed on an army H.Q. near Falluja, but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Attack on Forces in Anbar; 195 Killed in Iraq – April 29th, 2016
- Biden Visits Baghdad; 107 Killed in Iraq – April 28th, 2016
- Iraq Army Advances Towards Mosul; 311 Killed Across Country – April 27th, 2016
- 94 Killed Across Iraq; Tuz Khormato Still a Battle Zone – April 26th, 2016
- Clashes Continue in Tuz Khormato; 159 Killed in Iraq – April 25th, 2016