At least 51 Killed, 98 Wounded in Iraq Attacks
Tuz Khormato was the scene of a massive attack that left dozens dead and wounded at a Shi’ite funeral. It was the only major attack today, and the source of most of Wednesday’s casualties. Overall, at least 51 people were killed and 98 more were wounded across the country.
A suicide bomber struck at a Shi’ite mosque in restive Tuz Khormato today. At least 42 people were killed at the Sayyid al-Shuhada mosque. As many as 90 more may have been wounded. Conflicting figures are common when large numbers of casualties are involved.
The attack came as a funeral for a hospital staffer, who was killed yesterday, was ending. The dead man was related to a politician, and several government officials in attendance at the funeral were among the wounded. Police arrived shortly after the bombing and began shooting into the air, presumably to disperse the crowd that had gathered.
A week ago Tuz Khormato suffered another significant attack. The city has seen increased tensions between Kurds and Arabs since a November shootout. Baghdad wants to retain authority over the disputed region, while Arbil wants it folded into Iraqi Kurdistan. A significant Turkmen population also claims the city. Whether this attack is a response to those particular tensions or a random attack is unclear.
In Baquba, one person was killed and four more were wounded in a blast targeting a minibus.
A sticky bomb in al-Asouad killed a civilian.
Two bombs wounded three people at their home in Bani Saad. Other unexploded bombs were found nearby.
In Tikrit, a sticky bomb exploded on a police official’s car, but no casualties occurred.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 109 Killed As Bombers Strike in Baghdad and Iraq Army Base – September 22nd, 2014
- Siege at Army Base Ongoing; 175 Killed, 102 Wounded Across Iraq – September 21st, 2014
- Clashes and Airstrikes Across Iraq Leave 154 Dead and Dozens Wounded – September 20th, 2014
- 71 Killed, 86 Wounded Across Iraq As Bombers Hit Baghdad Again – September 19th, 2014
- Bombers Strike near Baghdad Shrine; 195 Killed, 173 Wounded Across Iraq – September 18th, 2014