Iraq: Shi’ites Targeted in Violence That Leaves 47 Killed and 145 Wounded
In what may be a response to yesterday’s massive strikes against Kurdish targets in the north, at least 47 people were killed and 145 more were wounded. Today, Shi’ite pilgrims were the main targets. Several of them were foreigners.
At least 11 people were killed and about 81 were wounded in a double car bombing targeting Shi’ite pilgrims walking through Dujail. They were on their way to the al-Askari shrine in Samarra. The first bomb lured first responders to a second bomb. Cars and market stalls were set aflame.
Seven people were killed and 28 more were wounded during a blast at a bus stop near the Qassim football field in Hilla. The group was headed to Karbala.
A car bomb blasted a bus carrying Pakistani or Afghani pilgrims to Karbala; at least four people were killed and at least 14 more were wounded in the Imam Aoun neighborhood. A bomb at the Imam Hussein shrine in town left two people with injuries. Seconds later at a nearby restaurant another bomb killed two people and wounded seven more.
In Baghdad, a blast targeting a patrol instead struck a civilian car, killing two people and wounding two more.
Three people were killed and one other was wounded in bombings across Diyala province.
A bomb wounded a civilian in Arab Jabour.
Mortars again targeted the Ramadi home of a Sahwa leader. This time one relative was killed and three bodyguards were wounded.
A bomb placed near an oil pipeline in Halabiya killed a police officer.
Three homes belonging to Sahwa members were blown up in Hawija, but no casualties were reported.
A sticky bomb killed a taxi driver in Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- As Diplomats Discuss Iraq, 86 Are Killed across Country – September 15th, 2014
- Falluja Hospital Bombed Again As 42 Killed Across Iraq – September 14th, 2014
- Iraq PM Promises No More Airstrikes on Civilians; 63 Killed, 22 Wounded – September 13th, 2014
- 28 Killed, 56 Wounded in Bombings and Airstrikes Across Iraq – September 12th, 2014
- Bombers Strike in Baghdad and Southern Iraq: 124 Killed, 81 Wounded – September 11th, 2014