Sunni Lawmaker Among 13 Killed in Iraq
Tuesday: 13 Killed, 29 Wounded
Sunni M.P. Eifan Saadoun al-Issawi was assassinated in Anbar province today. He was one of 13 people killed across Iraq. Another 29 were wounded.
A suicide bomber took advantage of a roadside stop in Falluja to kill a Sunni lawmaker and three bodyguards. MP Eifan Saadoun al-Issawi stepped out of his vehicle during a brief stop to inspect a construction project, or to meet with protestors, and was hugged by the suicide bomber, who was dressed as part of the road crew. Three construction workers were also killed. Two bodyguards and two civilians were reported wounded. As many as six more people may have been injured.
Issawi was one of the leaders of the Sahwa movement, which worked with the U.S. military to defeat al-Qaeda elements. He may have been on his way to join an anti-government protest. The protests began with the arrest last month of several bodyguards belonging to Finance Minister Rafi al-Issawi, who belongs to the same tribe as the assassinated lawmaker.
In Baghdad, a triple bombing left one dead and nine injured in the Kadhimiya neighborhood.
A car bomb in Baquba killed two people and wounded five more.
Three people were wounded in other attacks in Diyala province.
A sticky bomb wounded a member of the Dawa party in Hamdaniya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016
- Attack on Security Chiefs near Tikrit; 87 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2016
- UK Ramps Up Strikes; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2016
- Militants Immolate Civilians; 216 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2016
- Shirqat Close to Liberated; 60 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2016