Sunni Lawmaker Among 13 Killed in Iraq
Tuesday: 13 Killed, 29 Wounded
Sunni M.P. Eifan Saadoun al-Issawi was assassinated in Anbar province today. He was one of 13 people killed across Iraq. Another 29 were wounded.
A suicide bomber took advantage of a roadside stop in Falluja to kill a Sunni lawmaker and three bodyguards. MP Eifan Saadoun al-Issawi stepped out of his vehicle during a brief stop to inspect a construction project, or to meet with protestors, and was hugged by the suicide bomber, who was dressed as part of the road crew. Three construction workers were also killed. Two bodyguards and two civilians were reported wounded. As many as six more people may have been injured.
Issawi was one of the leaders of the Sahwa movement, which worked with the U.S. military to defeat al-Qaeda elements. He may have been on his way to join an anti-government protest. The protests began with the arrest last month of several bodyguards belonging to Finance Minister Rafi al-Issawi, who belongs to the same tribe as the assassinated lawmaker.
In Baghdad, a triple bombing left one dead and nine injured in the Kadhimiya neighborhood.
A car bomb in Baquba killed two people and wounded five more.
Three people were wounded in other attacks in Diyala province.
A sticky bomb wounded a member of the Dawa party in Hamdaniya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Another Town Falls to ISIS; 114 Killed Across Iraq – October 23rd, 2014
- Battles Rage Not Far from Baghdad; 282 Killed, 116 Wounded Across Iraq – October 22nd, 2014
- 58 Killed, 45 Wounded Across Iraq; Militiamen Boldly Operate Under Own Terms – October 21st, 2014
- Bombs and Battles Kill 243, Wound 139 Across Iraq – October 20th, 2014
- 146 Are Killed in Battles and Bombings Across Iraq – October 19th, 2014