Security Personnel and Students Among 17 Killed in Iraq
Wednesday: 17 killed, 20 Wounded
At least 17 Iraqis were killed and 20 more were wounded in the latest violence; however, one lucky man condemned to death received a stay of exection.
The Iraqi government postponed the execution of a Yemeni man who may have been 16-years-old when he was picked up on terrorism charges in Iraq. Although the government insists Saleh Moussa Ahmed al-Baidany was an adult at the time, his family has a birth certificate proving otherwise. Minors cannot be sentenced to death in Iraq.
A recently transferred inmate at a Baghdad prison managed to smuggle an explosives belt inside, where he wounded seven people, including himself, when he detonated it; three policemen were among the wounded.
In Mosul, two off-duty policemen were shot dead. Gunmen stormed a bus where they killed a civilian; police arrived and killed one gunman. A bomb wounded three people, including a civilian. Gunmen killed one university student and wounded another.
In Abu Ghraib, two soldiers were killed and another was wounded in a blast. Another bombing left one policeman dead and two more wounded. Four people were wounded, including two off-duty soldiers when a roadside bomb blasted a civilian car.
Gunmen killed a police captain in Mahmoudiya.
A sticky bomb killed two students and wounded a professor at Tikrit University.
A bomb killed an officer from the Dijla Operations Command while in Tuz Khormato.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Admits to Military Casualties; 254 Killed in Iraq – October 27th, 2016
- No End in Sight for Executioners; 256 Killed in Iraq – October 26th, 2016
- Rampant Executions in Mosul Theater; 244 Killed in Iraq – October 25th, 2016
- ISIS Captures City; 482 Killed Across Iraq – October 24th, 2016
- 418 Killed as Security Forces Capture Several Towns in Northern Iraq – October 23rd, 2016