Relatively peaceful Ashoura observances over the weekend were followed a spate of violence today. Shi’ite mosques were hit in Baghdad, while a Kurdish political office was targeted in Kirkuk. When significant attacks occur, many smaller attacks also get reported. Today was no different. Overall, at least 42 people were killed and 191 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, nine people were killed and 20 more were wounded in a blast at a mosque in Hurriya. Six were killed and 32 more were wounded minutes later when another bomb exploded at the Gaereat Mosque. In Shoala, a third bomb killed seven and wounded 21 more.
Five people were killed and 58 more were wounded when three bombs exploded in a Kurdish residential area in Kirkuk. A bomb wounded an education official. At least one other person was killed in bombings.
A double bombing in nearby Hawija left two dead and five wounded.
A bomb in Ramadi killed six and wounded 10 more.
Gunmen killed two policemen in Hammam al-Alil.
One Sahwa member was killed and two more were wounded when gunmen attacked a Diyala checkpoint.
In Khan Bani Saad, a one person was killed and six more were wounded in several blasts.
A Sahwa member was killed near his Buhriz home.
Gunmen near Nasariya killed a policeman.
Five civilians were wounded in a bombing in Taji.
A bomb in Jurf al-Meleh wounded three policemen.
Three people were wounded in a shooting in Suleimaniya.
In Falluja, three soldiers were wounded in a blast.
A bomb targeting a policeman in Gatoun wounded two civilians instead.
Two car bombs were discovered in Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Widows Sentenced to Death, Prison; Eight Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2018
- Another Mass Grave Found South of Mosul; 116 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2018
- Security Forces Battle ISIS near Mosul; 23 Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2018
- Airstrikes Target ISIS near Mosul; 15 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2018
- Baghdad Targeted for Small Attacks; Eight Killed in Iraq – February 13th, 2018