A double bombing that took place in Baghdad could foreshadow a violent flare-up later this week during the Eid al-Adha holiday. At least 18 Iraqis were killed in the bombing and other attacks. Another 51 were wounded. Also, an insurgent believed to be from Yemen was killed.
In Baghdad, 11 people were killed in a double bombing at a near a shrine in Kadhimiya that holds the tombs of two imams revered by Shi’ites. The bombs disrupted a marketplace where many people were shopping ahead of the Eid al-Adha holiday. At least 48 more were wounded.
Elsewhere in the capital: Gunmen killed two policemen and wounding another in the Shabb district.Another police officer was shot to death at his home in Karrada.A Taji prison official was killed and his employee was wounded when they were shot while driving in eastern Baghdad.
A clash in Hammam al-Alil left three policemen dead.
In Mosul, a soldier was shot to death.
A lawyer was shot dead during a home invasion in Ramadi.
Gunmen in Iskandariya wounded a police officer.
A Yemeni gunman was killed as security personnel tried to arrest him in Baaj. A second Yemeni was arrested.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017