Five Iraqis Killed, 23 Wounded in New Violence
Sunday: 5 Iraqis Killed, 23 Wounded
Authorities said a new operations command will establish a base at Camp Ashraf, after the last Mujahedeen al-Khalq residents have transferred to Camp Liberty in Baghdad. The Tigris Operations Command will employ Interior Ministry forces from Diyala and Kirkuk provinces. Critics, particularly Kurds, have already noted that the controversial command is unnecessary and called it a further attempt on the part of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to undermine Kurdish power in the region. The last Iranian exiles to leave the camp claimed they were harassed and subject to unnecessary security screening before the move.
Meanwhile, at least five Iraqis were killed and 23 more were wounded in new attacks.
In Mosul, one policeman was killed and another was wounded in clashes with gunmen.
Gunmen killed a truck driver in Nasariya.
In Baghdad, a pair of bombs wounded five policemen in Amiriya.
Four bodyguards were wounded during a blast targeting a brigadier in the Thar Thar region.
A kidnapping victim was freed in Najaf.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Australia Politician Visits Front Lines; 65 Killed in Iraq – September 29th, 2016
- Mass Execution Filmed; 131 Killed in Iraq – September 28th, 2016
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016