Iraq Prayer Day Attacks: 12 Killed, 83 Wounded
Friday: 12 Killed, 83 Wounded
A series of coordinated bombings took place against places of worship in the northern city of Kirkuk. Although the attacks left behind many wounded, the number of dead was fortunately small. Other violence in the country was minor in comparison. Overall, at least 12 people were killed and 83 more were wounded across Iraq.
In Kirkuk, several coordinated bombings took place, killing at least 10 people and wounding about 80 more. Most of the victims were Shi’ite worshippers. The greatest number of casualties occurred during the blasts at the al-Mustafa husseiniya in the Domiz neighborhood. Worshippers at the al-Mustafa mosque had been warned about a bombing at another husseiniya earlier but were unable to escape before the bomb targeting them blew up. A second bomb exploded as first responders arrived. A roadside bomb also exploded at the Sunni al-Ahmedi mosque.
A soldier was shot dead in Baquba.
Police in Mosul killed a gunman and arrested two others.
A woman and her two children were wounded in a roadside bombing in Saidiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Gov’t Executes Militants for 2014 Massacre; 97 Killed in Iraq – January 23rd, 2017
- Army Colonel Among 72 Killed in Iraq – January 22nd, 2017
- More Camp Speicher Victims Found; 88 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2017
- Executions in Kirkuk; 102 Killed in Iraq – January 20th, 2017
- Militants Execute Civilians in Mosul; 101 Killed Across Iraq – January 19th, 2017