Three significant attacks occurred south of Baghdad today, including one in the holy city of Najaf. At least two of the attacks occurred around sunset when observant Muslims were breaking their daily Ramadan fasting. Overall, at least 41 Iraqis were killed and 154 more were wounded. The last few days have been relatively quiet despite the beginning of Ramadan being a possible focal point for violence. June had seen a dramatic surge in deadly attacks.
Fifteen people were killed and 60 more were wounded when a pair of bombs was detonated in Madaen.
Four people were killed and 28 more were wounded when two bombs exploded on a busy Najaf street.
In Diyala province, three soldiers were killed and two more were wounded in a roadside bomb blast. A checkpoint attack left two policemen dead and one wounded.
Gunmen killed a soldier in Falluja.
In Baghdad, gunmen wounded a military staff officer.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Village Mayor Among 20 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operations Near Syrian Border; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2018
- Kirkuk Blast Targets Political Party; 24 Killed in Iraq – September 19th, 2018
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018