Iraq Attacks Leave 41 Killed, 154 Wounded
Sunday: 41 Iraqis Killed, 154 Wounded
Three significant attacks occurred south of Baghdad today, including one in the holy city of Najaf. At least two of the attacks occurred around sunset when observant Muslims were breaking their daily Ramadan fasting. Overall, at least 41 Iraqis were killed and 154 more were wounded. The last few days have been relatively quiet despite the beginning of Ramadan being a possible focal point for violence. June had seen a dramatic surge in deadly attacks.
Fifteen people were killed and 60 more were wounded when a pair of bombs was detonated in Madaen.
Four people were killed and 28 more were wounded when two bombs exploded on a busy Najaf street.
In Diyala province, three soldiers were killed and two more were wounded in a roadside bomb blast. A checkpoint attack left two policemen dead and one wounded.
Gunmen killed a soldier in Falluja.
In Baghdad, gunmen wounded a military staff officer.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 31 Killed in Iraq, Including 12 Slaughtered in a Baghdad Brothel – May 22nd, 2013
- Sixty Killed, 132 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Carnage – May 21st, 2013
- Monday Mayhem: 133 Killed, 283 Wounded in Iraq – May 20th, 2013
- Iraqi Police Targeted As Attacks Claim 44 Lives – May 19th, 2013
- Forty Killed Across Iraq; 13 Kidnapped in Anbar Province – May 18th, 2013