Nine Teenagers Killed at Iraq Soccer Game; 19 Dead Across Country
Monday: 19 Killed, 41 Wounded
What began as a quiet day changed late in the evening when a bomb left dozens of teenagers killed or wounded at a soccer field in Hilla. Although less deadly, Turkish shelling, which left one Iraqi civilian wounded, could be more troubling politically.. Overall, at least 19 Iraqis were killed and 41 more were wounded in the attacks.
At least four people were killed and seven more were wounded in Baquba when a bomb blew up at a pet store.
Gunmen killed three soldiers at a checkpoint in Rabeaa.
A border security officer was killed and a civilian bystander was wounded when gunmen attacked the officer in Falluja.
A civilian was injured during shelling by Turkish forces against Kurdish rebel bases in the Qandil mountains. It is the first reported civilian injury of the current campaign which shows no signs of letting up.
Police rescued two kidnap victims in Haditha.
Two bomb blasts in Abu Saida left no casualties.
In Baghdad, four blasts at a building under construction in Rashidiya left no casualties.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 31 Killed in Iraq, Including 12 Slaughtered in a Baghdad Brothel – May 22nd, 2013
- Sixty Killed, 132 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Carnage – May 21st, 2013
- Monday Mayhem: 133 Killed, 283 Wounded in Iraq – May 20th, 2013
- Iraqi Police Targeted As Attacks Claim 44 Lives – May 19th, 2013
- Forty Killed Across Iraq; 13 Kidnapped in Anbar Province – May 18th, 2013