President Jalal Talabani posted on his website a plea for Iraqi’s leaders to end the political dispute that threatens to break apar the Coalition government, and perhaps Iraq itself. Tensions intensified in December when Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki issued an arrest warrant for Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi. Several political blocs have since called for the resignation of the premier.
Meanwhile, at least nine Iraqis were killed and 14 more were wounded.
A roadside bomb in Badush killed three soldiers.
A clash between gunmen and a Sahwa member’s entourage in Tarmiya left two gunmen dead and one bodyguard wounded.
In Baghdad, a brigadier general was assassinated.
A blast in Tal Afar killed a policeman and wounded two soldiers.
In Mosul, a blast wounded two soldiers.
A sticky bomb wounded an officer in Hawija.
Gunmen wounded two soldiers in Muqdadiya.
A young man was wounded in a roadside bomb blast in Jalawla.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017