President Jalal Talabani posted on his website a plea for Iraqi’s leaders to end the political dispute that threatens to break apar the Coalition government, and perhaps Iraq itself. Tensions intensified in December when Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki issued an arrest warrant for Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi. Several political blocs have since called for the resignation of the premier.
Meanwhile, at least nine Iraqis were killed and 14 more were wounded.
A roadside bomb in Badush killed three soldiers.
A clash between gunmen and a Sahwa member’s entourage in Tarmiya left two gunmen dead and one bodyguard wounded.
In Baghdad, a brigadier general was assassinated.
A blast in Tal Afar killed a policeman and wounded two soldiers.
In Mosul, a blast wounded two soldiers.
A sticky bomb wounded an officer in Hawija.
Gunmen wounded two soldiers in Muqdadiya.
A young man was wounded in a roadside bomb blast in Jalawla.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019
- Scattered Attacks Leave Four Dead in Iraq – January 15th, 2019
- Children Wounded in Roadside Blast; Two Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2019
- ISIS Members Poisoned by Relative; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 12th, 2019