The relative quiet of the last several days was broken decisively by several suicide and car bomb attacks around Iraq. At least 20 Iraqis were killed and 35 more were wounded.
Three policemen were killed and three others were wounded, including a prisoner when a bomb targeting a prison transfer exploded in Badoush.
In Baghdad, three people were killed and nine more were wounded in Mansour after police shot at a suicide bomber; they bomber may have been targeting the Baghdad International Fair. A sticky bomb in Karrada attracted people to a second bomb; five were wounded.
A car bomb targeting police killed one policeman and wounded seven people, including civilians, in Ramadi.
In Iskandariya, a sticky bomb killed two people.
A body was dumped in an orchard near Baquba.
One electrical ministry employee was killed and two more were wounded in a roadside blast at a transfer station in Salah ad Din province.
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki re-instated 4,000 Diyala policemen, who were sacked after they abandoned their posts due to threats.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkey Continues Unapproved Airstrikes; 24 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2018
- Civilians Bombed in Turkish Strikes; 26 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2018
- Turkey Bombs PKK Sites; Three Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2018
- Militants Attack Federal Police Unit; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 11th, 2018
- Peshmerga Member Among Two Dead in Iraq – December 9th, 2018