He fled to Kurdistan to avoid capture and is now in Turkey. Although Hashemi has said he would like to take part in a trial, he feels the judiciary in Baghdad is tainted by Maliki and could not provide a fair one. Interpol has been asked to arrest Hashemi.
At least eight Iraqis were killed and 30 more were wounded.
In Baghdad‘s Kamaliya district a woman and her three children were found stabbed to death; she was the wife of a health ministry employee. A blast killed two people and wounded five others in Karrada.
Seventeen people were wounded in a bombing in Mosul.
The body of a woman in her 60s was found dumped in an Iskandariya farming area.
A sticky bomb killed an army officer and wounded two soldiers in Latifiya.
Gunmen wounded a civilian near a Baquba cemetery.
A bomb exploded in front of a Tikrit policeman’s home, wounding him before the bomb squad arrived.
A kidnapped girl was liberated in Mahaweel. The kidnappers, who were arrested, are related to council member.
A bomb targeting a Muthanna province councilman exploded in Samawa but no injuries were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Looting, Violence Continues in Captured Towns; 57 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2017
- Displaced Kurds Told Hometown Unsafe for Them to Return; 22 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2017
- Civilian Casualties in Battle at Kurdish Border; 67 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2017
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017