12 Iraqis Killed As Leaders Arrive For Arab League Summit
Tuesday: 12 Iraqis Killed, 6 Wounded
At least 12 Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded as several Arab leaders arrived in Baghdad for the Arab League summit. Meanwhile, Diyala province gained a new governor today.
Hisham al-Hiyali was sworn in as the governor of Diyala province today. The former governor, Abdul-Naser Mahdawi, was forced to resign months after fleeing his post last year. He and several Iraqiya list members left for Khanaqin and other safer locations when the provincial council headquarters was attacked. Violent protestors, many of them from other provinces, had arrived in Diyala following the announcement of a bid to seek semi-autonomy for the province.
In Hammam al-Alil, a bomb killed two people, including a woman, and wounded two more. A dumped body was discovered separately. Gunmen killed four men, who had been caught drinking by them, on the banks of the Tigris River in the Jahoni district.
A roadside bomb killed two policemen in Wadi Hajar.
In Yathrib, a man was killed and his son was wounded when gunmen attacked them in their car.
A policeman was wounded during a shooting in Mussayab.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 5,000 Killed Across Iraq in July – July 31st, 2014
- Saddam’s Body Moved Over ISIS Fears; 149 Killed, 104 Across Iraq – July 30th, 2014
- Hundreds Butchered by ISIS, Over A Hundred More Killed By Iraq Gov’t – July 29th, 2014
- 274 Killed Across Iraq As Mosul Residents Defy ISIS – July 28th, 2014
- Bloody Sunday in Iraq: 374 Killed, 78 Wounded – July 27th, 2014