12 Iraqis Killed As Leaders Arrive For Arab League Summit
Tuesday: 12 Iraqis Killed, 6 Wounded
At least 12 Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded as several Arab leaders arrived in Baghdad for the Arab League summit. Meanwhile, Diyala province gained a new governor today.
Hisham al-Hiyali was sworn in as the governor of Diyala province today. The former governor, Abdul-Naser Mahdawi, was forced to resign months after fleeing his post last year. He and several Iraqiya list members left for Khanaqin and other safer locations when the provincial council headquarters was attacked. Violent protestors, many of them from other provinces, had arrived in Diyala following the announcement of a bid to seek semi-autonomy for the province.
In Hammam al-Alil, a bomb killed two people, including a woman, and wounded two more. A dumped body was discovered separately. Gunmen killed four men, who had been caught drinking by them, on the banks of the Tigris River in the Jahoni district.
A roadside bomb killed two policemen in Wadi Hajar.
In Yathrib, a man was killed and his son was wounded when gunmen attacked them in their car.
A policeman was wounded during a shooting in Mussayab.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 242 Killed in Iraq, Including U.S. Soldier – May 3rd, 2016
- Security Forces Cooperate and Free Bashir; 165 Killed in Iraq – May 2nd, 2016
- 4,609 Killed in Iraq During April – May 1st, 2016
- 80 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike in Baghdad – April 30th, 2016
- Suicide Attack on Forces in Anbar; 195 Killed in Iraq – April 29th, 2016