At least five Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in new attacks. The most significant event took place near the Turkish border where Turkish forces shelled suspected Kurdish rebel targets.
Turkey resumed shelling suspected Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) targets in Suleimaniya and Dohuk provinces. These are the first reports of such operations this month. The P.K.K. uses remote areas of northern Iraq for their base camps and sometimes enter Turkey to stage attacks. Meanwhile, a bomb in southeastern Turkey killed eight people and wounded three more. Separately, a second bomb wounded a soldier.
A bodyguard was killed in Tikrit when gunmen invaded a sheikh’s home.
A bomb in a car killed a man in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Tal Afar Operation Starts; 91 Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2017
- 45 Killed in Iraq as Troops Gather Around Tal Afar – August 18th, 2017
- Donkey Bomb Kills Militants; 50 Killed in Iraq – August 17th, 2017
- Several ISIS Attacks Against Security Personnel; 66 Killed in Iraq – August 16th, 2017
- Airstrikes Push Refugees out of Tal Afar; 66 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2017