Although few attacks were reported today, a pair of bombings in Baghdad left dozens of casualties. At least eight Iraqis were killed in them and in an assassination in Yathrib. Another 35 Iraqis were wounded.
In Baghdad, five people were killed and 21 others were wounded when two bombs, one of them targeting first responders, exploded in Atifiya. Two children were killed and 14 others were wounded in a blast near a Zaafaraniya sports field.
Gunmen killed a councilmember in Yathrib.
According to official sources, Iran has apparently resumed shelling of the Iraqi Kurdistan border areas. A truce ending two months of hostilities had been negotiated last month. What prompted the end of the ceasefire was not reported. Iran has been battling the Party Of A Free Life Of Kurdistan rebels. The PJAK, which wants more autonomy for Kurds, uses northern Iraq for its basecamps.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018
- PKK Launch Rocket at Turkey; Six Killed in Iraq – January 14th, 2018