Friday: 7 Iraqis Killed, 16 Wounded
At least seven Iraqis were killed and 16 more were wounded in the latest violence. Two of the fatalities occurred in Iraqi Kurdistan where tensions between Iran and Kurdish rebels reheated in the last two weeks.
A ten-year-old boy was killed when Iran shelled the village of Battas. He is the third Iraqi known to have been killed by indirect fire. Another 11 Iraqis were wounded since shelling began about two weeks ago. Also, a shepherd was killed when he was caught in the crossfire during a clash between Iranian forces and Kurdish rebels.
Across the border in Iran, Party for a Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK) rebels reported killing an Iranian Basij militiaman and injuring four more. In Turkey, the associated Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) was blamed for a landmine that killed one Turkish soldier and wounded four more. The PJAK and PKK are both seeking an independent Kurdistan across parts of Iraq, Iran, Turkey and neighboring countries.
Gunmen killed a policeman and a Sahwa member who were on foot patrol in Baquba.
In Baghdad, a sticky bomb planted on a car in Saidiya wounded three people. A demonstration scheduled for Tahrir Square was moved to Mutanabi Street over fears that pro-Maliki forces would cause trouble.
A U.S. operation near Kut netted one suspect but also damaged nine cars. It is unclear if Iraqi authorities were involved or even forewarned.
Iraq and Kuwaiti naval forces staged a joint training exercise designed to halt illegal fishing.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Displaced Executed near Kirkuk; 110 Killed in Iraq – December 5th, 2016
- Attacks on Mosul Civilians Continue; 115 Killed in Iraq – December 4th, 2016
- Suicide Bomber Targets Mosul Civilians; 91 Killed Across Iraq – December 3rd, 2016
- 192 Killed in Iraq; Explosion at ISIS Storage Facility Kills Dozens – December 1st, 2016
- 5,719 Killed in Iraq during November – November 30th, 2016