At least six Iraqis were killed and seven more were wounded in the light violence, along with one U.S. soldier who died in a non-combat event. A number of Iranian Revolutionary Guards and Kurdish rebels may have also lost their lives during continued tensions at the border.
Iran claimed to have taken over Party Of A Free Life Of Kurdistan (PJAK) bases in northern Iraq and killed many rebels. Meanwhile, an Iraqi spokesman said that many Iranian troops had also lost their lives. As in altercations between Turkey and Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) rebels — of which the PJAK is an offshoot — independent confirmation is difficult if not impossible.
In Kirkuk, one Sahwa member was killed and another was wounded in a roadside bomb attack. Two people were kidnapped in separate incidents.
A woman was stabbed to death last night in Jurf al-Sakhar.
An Iraqi woman was wounded near Suleimaniya during a shelling attack staged by Iran.
Last night in Mahaweel, a bomb wounded three policemen.
A suspected al-Qaeda leader was arrested in Nasariya.
A suspect was captured in Zab.
Eighteen suspects were detained in Basra province.
The Tanaf border crossing into Syria has been closed.
The Hezbollah Militia in Iraq has threatened to stop work at the Mubarak port being built in Kuwait.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018