At least nine Iraqis were killed and eight more were wounded in light violence. Several people may also have been killed during unconfirmed fighting at the Iran-Iraqi Kurdistan border.
Clashes between Iranian Revolutionary Guards and Party of Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK) rebels occurred inside Iraqi territory near Banjaween. Between three and five people were reported killed and several more were wounded. A Kurdish Peshmerga official was unable to confirm the fighting but did say that Iran had been shelling the area. Earlier this week, witnesses had reported that Iranian troops were setting up roads and camps inside Iraq. The PJAK is based in northern Iraq.
In Mosul, gunmen killed two policemen and a woman at a checkpoint; another policeman was wounded. A hand grenade intended for a police patrol instead killed a man, his wife and his child when it exploded. Soldiers shot and killed a man driving toward their checkpoint.
In Baghdad, a blast in the Amiriya neighborhood killed two people a wounded a third person.
A roadside bomb in Mahmoudiya wounded two people.
As many as four police officers were wounded in an attack on a police convoy that was carrying a police brigadier through Shirqat.
The family of a Kirkuk doctor paid $500,000 to secure his release from kidnappers.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018