Wednesday: 8 Iraqis Killed, 18 Wounded
At least eight Iraqis were killed and 18 more were wounded in new violence that focused on Baghdad and Mosul.
In Baghdad, an I.E.D. killed one civilian and wounded seven others in the Jisr Diyala area. A sticky bomb killed one person and wounded two others in Hurriya; the dead man was an employed at the Electricity Ministry. A blast in Waziriya wounded two people. A roadside bomb killed a civilian in Amiriya. An army major general died from wounds received in an attack on Sunday.
Two bombs targeted a police brigadier in Kirkuk, but two bystanders were wounded instead.
A civilian was wounded in Mosul when a grenade targeting police exploded. Gunmen killed a policeman in southwestern Mosul and wounded two more in the west. Police killed a man who was driving the wrong way. Sticky bombs wounded two people in a car.
A man died from injuries received while attempting to fire a Katyusha rocket at an Amara military airport.
A government official was shot dead in Sadr City.
A suspected Islamic State of Iraq war minister was arrested in Amiriya and found in possession of explosives.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Twenty Killed in Attacks Focused on Iraqi Security Forces – May 23rd, 2013
- 31 Killed in Iraq, Including 12 Slaughtered in a Baghdad Brothel – May 22nd, 2013
- Sixty Killed, 132 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Carnage – May 21st, 2013
- Monday Mayhem: 133 Killed, 283 Wounded in Iraq – May 20th, 2013
- Iraqi Police Targeted As Attacks Claim 44 Lives – May 19th, 2013