Following Iraqi Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani’s call for the swift execution of terror suspects, the United Nations has asked Iraq to abolish its death penalty. At least eight Iraqis died in new attacks and another 11 were wounded.
In Baghdad, a blast targeting a bus near a popular coffee shop killed two people and wounded seven others. A policeman was killed and two others were wounded in a blast in Alam. Hundreds of Christians attended a well-guarded memorial service at Our Lady of Salvation Syriac Catholic church 40 days after a standoff left 46 dead worshippers dead. Meanwhile, hundreds of Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr‘s followers demanded the immediate closure of bars and nightclubs. Also, a Turkish consortium has won the bid to rebuild Sadr City.
Uniformed gunmen killed a poultry farmer and two workers in Meshahda.
A suspected al-Qaeda leader was captured in Suwayra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Airstrikes Push Refugees out of Tal Afar; 66 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2017
- New Camp Speicher Mass Grave Found; 31 Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2017
- Two US Service Members Among 59 Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2017
- Explosion Kills Caliphate Cubs; 75 Killed Across Iraq – August 12th, 2017
- Heavy Infighting Reported Among ISIS in Tal Afar; 17 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2017