Tuesday: 8 Iraqis Killed, 6 Wounded
Sarah Shourd, the American hiker arrested and accused of spying after illegally crossing from Iraq to Iran, was released on $500,000 bail. Meanwhile, at least eight Iraqis were killed and six were wounded in unusually light violence.
Five people were wounded after Turkish artillery fire struck border areas of Iraqi Kurdistan. Turkey was likely targeting Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) rebel camps. The PKK uses remote areas of northern Iraq as a base from which to attack Turkey; however, there are civilians in the area as well.
In Baghdad, gunmen wounded a policeman in Karrada. Two unidentified bodies were discovered. Gunmen shot up a gate at the Saidiya home of an army colonel. A housing ministry employee was shot and killed in Qadisiyah.
In Mosul, two men were shot and killed in separate neighborhoods.
Gunmen killed an employee of Iraqi Airways on the streets of Abu Ghraib.
A man was killed in a drive-by shooting in Dujail.
In Jurf al-Sakhar, gunmen stormed a home and hanged the female resident.
Three wanted suspects were picked up in Diwaniya, while two rockets were discovered and defused in a separate operation.
The "commander of a terror cell" was arrested in Karbala.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Sistani Reiterates Plea For Maliki To Quit; 45 Killed Across Iraq – July 25th, 2014
- ISIS Blows Up Tombs in Mosul; 147 Killed Across Iraq – July 24th, 2014
- Iran’s Support For Maliki Dwindles As Over 200 Are Killed in Iraq – July 23rd, 2014
- 288 Slain As Maliki Urges Sunni Tribes To Fight For Iraq Government – July 22nd, 2014
- 257 Killed Across Iraq, Mostly In Security Ops – July 21st, 2014