Thursday: 11 Iraqis Killed, 17 Wounded
Updated at 8:10 p.m. Aug. 19, 2010
At least 11 Iraqis were killed and 17 more were wounded in light attacks that concentrated on security personnel. A day after U.S. combat forces left Iraq, Maj. Gen. Stephen Lanza said that Iraqi forces are capable of keeping security but selecting the new government would help. About 56,000 troops will remain to assist the Iraqis; however, the final withdrawal of Americans could be as late as 2020 depending on conditions.
In Mosul, two soldiers were killed. A bomb killed a Peshmerga fighter and wounded four others. A body bearing gunshot wounds was found. A policeman was killed. In Tayaran, a bomb wounded two officers and two soldiers. Two other blasts left no casualties.
A bomb killed two policemen and wounded two others in Ramadi.
The U.S. military handed over a base in Nasariya to the Iraqi government and moved about 4,000 American troops to the al-Talil base.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 74 Killed in Iraq, Including Family Fleeing ISIS – July 26th, 2016
- Bomber Strike East of Baghdad; 138 Killed in Iraq – July 25th, 2016
- 164 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike near Shi’ite Shrine – July 24th, 2016
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016