Thursday: 11 Iraqis Killed, 17 Wounded
Updated at 8:10 p.m. Aug. 19, 2010
At least 11 Iraqis were killed and 17 more were wounded in light attacks that concentrated on security personnel. A day after U.S. combat forces left Iraq, Maj. Gen. Stephen Lanza said that Iraqi forces are capable of keeping security but selecting the new government would help. About 56,000 troops will remain to assist the Iraqis; however, the final withdrawal of Americans could be as late as 2020 depending on conditions.
In Mosul, two soldiers were killed. A bomb killed a Peshmerga fighter and wounded four others. A body bearing gunshot wounds was found. A policeman was killed. In Tayaran, a bomb wounded two officers and two soldiers. Two other blasts left no casualties.
A bomb killed two policemen and wounded two others in Ramadi.
The U.S. military handed over a base in Nasariya to the Iraqi government and moved about 4,000 American troops to the al-Talil base.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bus Bomb Explodes at Mosul Market; 35 Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2016
- Displaced Executed near Kirkuk; 110 Killed in Iraq – December 5th, 2016
- Attacks on Mosul Civilians Continue; 115 Killed in Iraq – December 4th, 2016
- Suicide Bomber Targets Mosul Civilians; 91 Killed Across Iraq – December 3rd, 2016
- 192 Killed in Iraq; Explosion at ISIS Storage Facility Kills Dozens – December 1st, 2016