No casualties were reported on the prayer day. However, even as Iraqi Vice President Adil Abdulmahdi and U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates were in Washington, D.C. discussing the security situation ahead of March elections, another Iraqi vice president, Tareq al-Hashemi, warned that the situation will deteriorate.
Two Katyusha rockets struck a home in Kirkuk, but no casualties were reported.
Amara police captured a gang who would wear military uniforms while robbing homes.
Two al-Qaeda suspects were picked-up in Karbala and accused of planning attacks against Arbaeen pilgrims. Arbaeen is Feb. 4.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018