Updated at 7:36 p.m. EDT, Aug. 28, 2009
Baghdad is under tight security as a funeral and procession for Shi’ite leader Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim takes place At least five Iraqis were killed and six were wounded in light, prayer day violence. Meanwhile, U.S. Army chief of staff Gen. George Casey said it was too early to determine if a recent spike in violence will change U.S. withdrawal plans.
Two U.S. soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb blast in Baghdad very early this morning.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a man affiliated with a local political group. A little girl was killed and a civilian was wounded when gunmen shot at police. A bomb on bridge killed two people and wounded four others traveling in a local commmissioner’s convoy. A civilian was killed and a soldier was injured in a bomb blast.
Two explosives belts were found in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- New Zealand Sends Fresh Troops; Five Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2018
- Baghdad Drops Bombs on ISIS in Syria; Five Killed in Iraq – April 19th, 2018
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018