Updated at 7:36 p.m. EDT, Aug. 28, 2009
Baghdad is under tight security as a funeral and procession for Shi’ite leader Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim takes place At least five Iraqis were killed and six were wounded in light, prayer day violence. Meanwhile, U.S. Army chief of staff Gen. George Casey said it was too early to determine if a recent spike in violence will change U.S. withdrawal plans.
Two U.S. soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb blast in Baghdad very early this morning.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a man affiliated with a local political group. A little girl was killed and a civilian was wounded when gunmen shot at police. A bomb on bridge killed two people and wounded four others traveling in a local commmissioner’s convoy. A civilian was killed and a soldier was injured in a bomb blast.
Two explosives belts were found in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018