Updated at 10:04 p.m. EDT, Aug. 23, 2009
At least eight Iraqis were killed and 19 more were wounded. One U.S. soldier was also killed in combat in Baghdad as well. The Iraqi military released a videotaped confession from the alleged mastermind of Wednesday’s truck bombings. The former policeman revealed that the bombers bribed their way through security. Meanwhile, relatives of the victims in last months’ deadly bank robbery distrupted a trial in Baghdad today.
Eleven policemen were wounded in a double bombing in Taji.
In Mosul, one policeman was shot dead. Four Iraqi soldiers were killed and one more was wounded when a car they were passing suddenly exploded.
An Awakening Council leader and his son were killed in a bomb attack in Abu Khamis.
Mortars landed on a home in Saidiya, leaving one dead and two wounded.
A roadside bomb wounded two people in Jalawla.
A large C-4 bomb was dismantled in Shatra.
Iran reported killing 26 Kurdish rebels in northwestern Iran. Most of the rebels likely belonged to the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK), which is an offshoot of the better-known Kurdistan Worker’s Party (PPK). Both groups seek an independent Kurdistan and use Iraq as a base from which to stage attacks on neighboring countries.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- India Abductees Found Dead Near Mosul; 72 Killed in Iraq – March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018