Updated at 7:26 p.m. EDT, Apr. 19, 2009
At least 14 Iraqis were killed and 28 others were wounded in the latest attacks. Among them was a daring series of jewelry store robberies in Baghdad. Those attacks came just a day after a similar attack in Basra. No Coalition deaths were reported. Meanwhile, the Iraqi parliament resolved issues preventing it from selecting a new speaker.
In Baghdad, seven people were killed and five other were wounded during a series of armed robberies in Tobji. A roadside bomb planted in Zaafaraniya wounded five people, including two policemen. A morter round wounded two civilians when it struck a power generator in Zayouna. Gunmen killed an interior ministry official in Nuairiyah late today. Late yesterday, an improvised explosive device targeting a U.S. Patrol in Ghazaliya injured two Iraqi civilians instead. Four civilians were wounded during a separate I.E.D. attack in Doura. Also, gunmen killed a interior ministry official in Ur last night.
A bomb in Mosul’s Fasiliya district wounded seven people. Gunmen killed two policemen and wounded a third during a checkpoint attack. At least one other Iraqi was wounded at a checkpoint in Shifaa, which may or may not be the same event. An Iraqi soldier was killed in at least one other incident as well. Also, a bomb injured a civilian in Wihda.
Gunmen killed two Awakening Council members in separate incidents around Mussayib. Many Sahwa members have been killed in this and nearby areas this year.
U.S. forces freed 23 detainees in Anbar province after clearing them of all charges.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017