Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend announced that the United States gave the Iraqi government the locations of 81 sites in Mosul known to have unexploded bombs. The rare release of classified bomb information was done, Townsend says, as a matter of public safety.
Thousands of demonstrators participated in an independence rally in Erbil.
At least 33 people were killed and 17 more were wounded:
A bomb placed near brick kilns in Nahrawan killed one person and wounded four others.
Two soldiers were wounded in a blast in Sadr al-Yusufiya.
Militiamen killed at least a dozen militants in Tal Safuq.
In Zuwiya, seven militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018
- Abu Ghraib Official Injured in Bombing; 10 Killed in Iraq – August 9th, 2018