Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend announced that the United States gave the Iraqi government the locations of 81 sites in Mosul known to have unexploded bombs. The rare release of classified bomb information was done, Townsend says, as a matter of public safety.
Thousands of demonstrators participated in an independence rally in Erbil.
At least 33 people were killed and 17 more were wounded:
A bomb placed near brick kilns in Nahrawan killed one person and wounded four others.
Two soldiers were wounded in a blast in Sadr al-Yusufiya.
Militiamen killed at least a dozen militants in Tal Safuq.
In Zuwiya, seven militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018