Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend announced that the United States gave the Iraqi government the locations of 81 sites in Mosul known to have unexploded bombs. The rare release of classified bomb information was done, Townsend says, as a matter of public safety.
Thousands of demonstrators participated in an independence rally in Erbil.
At least 33 people were killed and 17 more were wounded:
A bomb placed near brick kilns in Nahrawan killed one person and wounded four others.
Two soldiers were wounded in a blast in Sadr al-Yusufiya.
Militiamen killed at least a dozen militants in Tal Safuq.
In Zuwiya, seven militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Police Brigadier General Among 22 Killed in Iraq – May 26th, 2018
- Third Bombing Against Sadr Bloc Offices; 40 Killed, 19 Bodies Found in Iraq – May 25th, 2018
- Scattered Attacks Continue in Kirkuk, Diyala; 27 Killed in Iraq – May 24th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Baghdad; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 23rd, 2018
- 1,000 Bodies Recovered in Mosul; Two Turks Among 15 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2018