Two U.S. service members were killed and five more were wounded during combat operations in northern Iraq; however, the casualties were not due to direct enemy contact, the military reported. The Islamic State militants later claimed responsibility. A statement said they had fired Grad rockets on troops in Bewer, near Tal Afar.
About 1,000 displaced people in 300 families were able to return to their homes in Adhaim.
At least 57 others were killed and 32 were wounded in recent violence:
A fire at a militant prison near Tal Afar killed four civilian inmates and wounded another.
Four policemen were killed in Nahda.
A double bombing in Jurf al-Nasr (Jurf al-Sakhar) wounded seven militiamen.
Twenty militants were killed and eight were wounded in clashes at the Syria border near Tal Safoug.
Strikes on Tuz Khormato killed at least 10 militants.
In Mosul, a suicide bomber was killed.
A suicide bomber was killed in Tikrit.
Coalition strikes were conducted in Qaim, Rawah, and Anah.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bombers Blow Themselves up; Four Killed in Iraq – March 24th, 2019
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019