Anonymous sources within the Iraqi and U.S. governments have revealed that Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi is talking with the Trump administration about retaining U.S. troops after the Islamic State militants are defeated. There are currently about 7,000 servicemembers in Iraq; however, not all of them are officially deployed there.
The number of civilians displaced by the fighting in Mosul has now crossed 600,000, according to Jasim Muhammed al-Jaf, a Minister of Displacement and Migration in Iraq.
At least 62 were killed and 15 were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen wounded three Turkmen students who were riding in a car near Tuz Khormato.
A group of young men in Zab killed a militant.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018