Anonymous sources within the Iraqi and U.S. governments have revealed that Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi is talking with the Trump administration about retaining U.S. troops after the Islamic State militants are defeated. There are currently about 7,000 servicemembers in Iraq; however, not all of them are officially deployed there.
The number of civilians displaced by the fighting in Mosul has now crossed 600,000, according to Jasim Muhammed al-Jaf, a Minister of Displacement and Migration in Iraq.
At least 62 were killed and 15 were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen wounded three Turkmen students who were riding in a car near Tuz Khormato.
A group of young men in Zab killed a militant.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- French Training Iraqi Forces near Syrian Border; Five Killed in Iraq – May 21st, 2018
- Eleven ISIS Militants Killed in Iraq – May 20th, 2018
- Bodies of Three Soldiers Found After Missing for Two Years; Two Killed in Iraq – May 19th, 2018
- Turkish Soldier Among 27 Killed in Iraq – May 18th, 2018
- Denmark Withdrawing Special Forces; 12 Killed in Iraq – May 17th, 2018