A drone that exploded after landing critically wounded two French soldiers and killed two Peshmerga fighters. The attack occurred on Oct. 2. Several more French soldiers were lightly wounded.
A large number of security personnel are protecting Shi’ite pilgrims in Karbala. Three million pilgrims are expected to participate in Ashura observances.The Kurdistan Regional Government has promised to investigate abuses in areas where both Kurds and Arabs live. There are reports that Kurds have taken over some Arab properties.
Political losses by Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi suggest that former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is gaining power. It is unlikely the controversial former premier will regain the post, but he could hold the strings of the next prime minister.
At least 47 people were killed and 11 were wounded:
A roadside bomb killed a child and wounded nine others as they were fleeing Hawija.
In Baghdad, several pilgrims were hurt in two separate explosions.
Security forces killed seventeen militants in Anah.
Ten militants were killed during an operation on Khasfa.
Six cubs of Daesh were killed in an airstrike on Tal Keif.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018