Iraqi forces are converging on Rutba near the Syrian border in order to clear a few nearby areas of militants. Large-scale operations against Islamic State militants are expected in Hawija soon and in Mosul as well.
The United Kingdom is deploying an additional 250 soldiers to Iraq ahead of the Mosul assault.
At least 36 people were killed and 26 were wounded:
Thirteen soldiers were killed and 24 were wounded when militants attacked their position in Anbar province.
A bomb killed five people trying to flee Daesh territory near Hawija. The victims were two women and three children.
A woman was stoned to death in Mosul.
Near Choman, Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) guerrillas executed a female member who was attempting to desert the group.
Two policemen were wounded in a bombing in Jurf al-Sakhar.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded a number of Shi’ite pilgrims.
An airstrike on Hayy al-Bakr left seven militants dead.
In Tlul al-Baj, security forces killed six militants.
Three militants officials were killed in an explosion in Baaj.
Dozens of militants were killed or wounded during a Peshmerga artillery strike on Hassan Shallal.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018