Military officials say that preparations for an assault on Hawija are complete. The operations apparently will include parts of Shirqat that are still under militant control.
Shi’ite cleric Qassim al-Tai issued a fatwa ordering Iraqis to fight Turkish troops illegally stationed in Iraq. Besides military intervention, he suggested boycotting Turkish products.
Islamic State militants launched mortars at Turkish troops stationed in Bashiqa, but no casualties were reported.
At least 75 people were killed and 21 more were wounded in recent violence:
Sources in Qaim say 11 children have been killed in order to supply militant hospitals with organs.
One policeman was killed and two more were wounded while attempting to defuse a bomb in Fallujah.
Airstrikes killed 30 militants in Albu Ali Jassim.
A strike on Baaj left nine militants dead.
Nine militants were killed in Hit Island.
An airstrike on Hud killed four militants, one of them a leader.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018