Amnesty International called on Kurdish authorities to investigate the death of journalist Wedat Hussein Ali, who was killed in August. The organization also criticized the lack of justice for journalists who have been killed or tortured in Iraq and Kurdistan.
A former Tajik police commander has been appointed the new Minister of War within the Islamic State. The United States had been looking for Col. Gulmurod Khalimov after he disappeared earlier this year. Khalimov has received training from both U.S. and Russian instructors.
Ghazwan Al-Dawoudi, a representative of the Shabak minority, said that the liberation of Badanah by Nineveh Plains Protection Units two days ago was not an attack against ISIS/Daesh militants but the destruction of a Shabak village by the Christian militia.
At least 161 were killed and 34 were wounded:
Turkey claimed to have killed 30 members of the Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) in airstrikes on northern Iraq.
A police officer was killed and four more were wounded when a roadside bomb exploded in Tarmiya.
Six civilians were wounded when militants blew up a number of homes in Hammam al-Alil.
An airstrike on a convoy near Haditha left 60 militants dead.
Security forces killed 18 militants near Hawija.
In Baaj, militants killed 14 of their own on desertion charges.
Five militants were killed in an artillery attack on Khorsabad.
In Mosul, an airstrike killed a militant responsible for training children for combat.
A veiled woman shot dead two militants in Sharqat.
Near Fallujah, security forces killed two militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018