The new U.S. ambassador to Iraq arrived in Baghdad on Thursday. Douglas A. Silliman was the former ambassador to Kuwait until early last month. He replaces Stuart E. Jones, who had been the ambassador since 2014. Silliman’s full title is “Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Republic of Iraq.”
At least 59 were killed and 16 were wounded:
Tribal fighters and militants clashed at an entrance to Qayara. Eight fighters and 23 militants were killed.
In Mosul, militants sewed up the mouths of four men who had been caught discussing Iraqi army victories. Residents broke the teeth of a woman who was known as a Daesh biter; she would punish women, who were not following Daesh rules, by biting them.
An airstrike on Baaj left 12 militants dead.
Security forces killed a suicide bomber in Tarmiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018
- Mass Grave Found Near Kirkuk; 29 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2018
- Militiaman Shoots P.M.’s Security Officer; 32 Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2018