The new U.S. ambassador to Iraq arrived in Baghdad on Thursday. Douglas A. Silliman was the former ambassador to Kuwait until early last month. He replaces Stuart E. Jones, who had been the ambassador since 2014. Silliman’s full title is “Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Republic of Iraq.”
At least 59 were killed and 16 were wounded:
Tribal fighters and militants clashed at an entrance to Qayara. Eight fighters and 23 militants were killed.
In Mosul, militants sewed up the mouths of four men who had been caught discussing Iraqi army victories. Residents broke the teeth of a woman who was known as a Daesh biter; she would punish women, who were not following Daesh rules, by biting them.
An airstrike on Baaj left 12 militants dead.
Security forces killed a suicide bomber in Tarmiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018