Civilians Beheaded in Riyadh; 27 Killed in Iraq
The Islamic State reported the death of Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, the group’s most senior spokesman. The Pentagon admitted that Adnani was the target of a Coalition strike but did not confirm his death.
The Associated Press has documented the existence of at least 72 mass graves in Islamic State territories in Iraq and Syria. Estimates of the number of dead run from 5,200 to more than 15,000 but the actual figures could be higher. Some of the graves have been opened but many remain behind enemy lines visible only to satellites.
U.S. General Joseph Votel said Iraq is on track to meet its goal of launching an operation against the Islamic State in Mosul.
At least 27 were killed and 32 were wounded:
Militants beheaded 13 civilians in Riyadh.
Gunmen killed two soldiers and wounded five more in Tarmiya.
A bomb near a Madaen cemetery killed two people and wounded four more.
Near Baiji, a roadside bomb killed two people and wounded four more who were trying to flee Daesh.
Two people were wounded in Sadr City when a bomb planted on a car exploded.
A strike on Albu Ali al-Jassim left four militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016
- Attack on Security Chiefs near Tikrit; 87 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2016
- UK Ramps Up Strikes; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2016
- Militants Immolate Civilians; 216 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2016
- Shirqat Close to Liberated; 60 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2016