The United Nations refugee agency says operations leading up to an invasion of Mosul have, so far, displaced about 100,000 people.. Camps have been set up to accommodate them, but they are already over capacity.
The war with the Islamic State has mostly kept a lid on sectarian tensions between Shi’ites, Sunnis, Kurds, and several minority groups in Iraq. Analysts, however, fear what will happen when these groups no longer have a common enemy.
Even though Shi’ites control the federal government, a Shi’ite revolution threatens its existence.
Still suffering the effects of a chemical attack that took place in March, 38 Iraqi Turkmen traveled to a hospital in Ankara, Turkey for further treatment.
At least 52 people were killed and two more wounded:
An attack on Tuz Khormato left one Peshmerga dead and two wounded. Militant casualties also occurred.
Security forces killed about 40 militants during an attack on Hajj Ali.
Eleven militants were killed during an operation in Khalidiya Island.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018