Defense Minister Khalid al-Obeidi survived a mortar attack while traveling near Imam Gharbi village in northern Iraq. The minister was traveling in a bulletproof vehicle and no casualties were reported. Bodyguards fired back at the militants. He was visiting the Nineveh Operation Center near Makhmour to meet with officials.
Four F-16s were delivered to Iraq, bringing the total of 36 promised aircraft to eight planes so far.
At least 126 people were killed and 26 more wounded:
Qayara officials said that about 20 people have died while in custody of Daesh. It is unclear how the victims died, but the militants are holding thousands of people as human shields, threatening to kill and torture those who try to escape.
In Mosul, militants beheaded seven people.
Four shoppers were killed and 11 were wounded when a bomb exploded at a market in Yusufiya.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded eight more at a commercial district in Iskan. A bomb targeting a militia convoy in Doura left three militiamen dead and seven wounded. Two suicide bombers were killed in Arab Jabour.
Three men were executed in Hawija.
A sniper killed Major Abdul Amir al-Zirgani in Jazirat al-Khalidiya.
In Khalidiya Island, security forces killed at least 31 militants.
Security forces killed 25 militants in the Thar Thar poultry fields.
Eleven militants were killed in strikes on Zankura.
Strikes on Albu Nimr killed eight militants.
Five militants were killed at the Walid border crossing with Syria.
Airstrikes left two militants dead in Ramadi.
Two militants were killed in Horh.
In Hamdia, two militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018