The United States is sending 400 troops from the 101st Airborne Division to Qayara to set up a logistics base at the recently capture airfield. The airfield is expected to play an important role in the operation to recover Mosul.
Islamic State militants have reportedly destroyed all the land deeds issued by the Iraqi government in Mosul. The militants issued new documents to those who are occupying homes currently. It is unknown if residents who have fled will lose ownership of their properties should Daesh lose control of Mosul. Of particular concern are homes that are owned by people belonging to minority groups, such as Kurds or Yazidis.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) believes that thousands of civilians may have been detained while trying to escape Daesh rule in Hawija, Rashad, Riyadh, and nearby areas. The militants may be using them as human shields. A dozen executions blamed on the militants was reported yesterday.
Mahma Khalil, the mayor of Sinjar, says a new town will have to be built from scratch. The cost of rebuilding Sinjar–clearing the town of explosives and renovating the buildings severely damaged by war–is greater than it would be to start fresh.
At least 51 people were killed and two more wounded:
Eighteen militants were killed during clean-up operations in Khalidiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018